In Eco, there’s no crafting grid or recipes for making specific items. Instead, you craft directly in the world, by creating buildings. Unlike other games, buildings in Eco are not simply decorative, they have gameplay effects.
In the building menu, players can choose what type of building they want to create, and they will be shown what the requirements are to create it. Those requirements will include:
- What types of materials must it be made from (wood, stone, etc)
- How large must it be (cubic meters of contained empty space)
- How many rooms must it have, and what is the minimum size per room.
- How much energy must be supplied to the building, and what forms are allowed. Currently implemented energy include local-power sources like waterwheels, windmills, and wood burning furnaces. We will be adding more advanced non-local energy sources like electricity.
- Spawning construction tables and resource converters that the building owner can use or lease out (for example, a furnace that converts ore + energy into minerals + waste).
- Area effects for occupants, for example being able to auto-eat food when in a building of type ‘home’ you have control of.
- Granting a deed to the constructor which signifies ownership, and allows you to transfer/sell ownership to another, or lease usage rights, or determine access rights (see our Land Ownership stretch goal which we achieved!)
- Unlocking the ability to perform new research, which will open up new skills and other building types that players can create.